Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Soulja Boy Explains Why He's Isn t Affected with Lower Sales


Soulja Boy hasn’t heard the one-hit wonder talks in a while. Though his sophomore album, "iSouljaBoyTellEm," sold underwhelming numbers, the CD produced three new hits for the rapper: the Sammy-assisted “Kiss Me Through The Phone,” “Turn My Swag On” and “Gucci Bandana” with Gucci Mane and Shawty Lo.


Initially dismissed as a bubblegum rapper, SB is now getting recognition from some of the most respected artists in the game. He’s presently working on Kanye West's new album, submitted songs for Rihanna's "Rated R," appears on Snoop Dogg’s "Malice N Wonderland" and Gucci’s "The State Vs. Radric Davis," among many other features. SB recently sat down with BET.com to explain why he’s become a bigger household name despite selling fewer records.

“I had a different plan from everybody else,” SB explained to BET.com. “Like, you got artists whose songs are so hot, but don’t nobody know the artist. And with me, it’s not necessarily the music, I think it’s me as a person, like what I did and how I did it. You might got people that don’t necessarily like Soulja Boy’s music at all, but they know who I am and they’ll know my story. I just think that I’m big because people look at me as like the artist and not the song. You got artists whose songs get real big on the radio, but don’t nobody know who they is.”

“It makes the music easier to break,” he continued. “I might go to the radio, record two songs and just leak them on the internet and whichever one they like, that’s the one I try to go hard with. But me, I just think it’s not necessarily the music, it’s me as a person. That’s why I said when I start doing movies or they give me a TV show, it’s a wrap.”

No comments: